Makes 14 servings
Approximate nutrients per serving: 120 calories, 1 gram of fat, 13 grams of protein
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or beef broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup small pasta, such as orzo or pastini
1 (10-ounce) package
frozen chopped spinach
1 (15-ounce) can
chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained
Pepper and salt to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté the turkey and onion until the turkey is cooked through.
2. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 10 minutes, or until softened.
3. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano and stir to combine.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the pasta, frozen spinach, and chickpeas or beans and cook for 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Serve with Parmesan cheese.