With BPH, the prostate gets larger. When it is enlarged, it can irritate or block the bladder. A common symptom of BPH is the need to urinate often. This can be every one to two hours, especially at night.
Other symptoms include:
- Feeling that the bladder is full, even right after urinating
- Feeling that urinating "can't wait"
- Weak urine flow
- Dribbling of urine
- The need to stop and start urinating several times
- Trouble starting to urinate
- The need to push or strain to urinate
In severe cases, you might not be able to urinate at all. This is an emergency. It must be treated right away.
How Can BPH Affect Your Life?
In most men, BPH gets worse as you age. It can lead to bladder damage and infection. It can cause blood in the urine. It can even cause kidney damage. Men with BPH should get treated.