Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Questions to ask your health care provider about SUI
Questions to ask your health care provider when being diagnosed:
- What is causing my urine leakage problem?
- Do you think that I have SUI?
- What have my test results showed?
Questions to ask your health care provider about non-surgical treatment:
- What are my treatment choices, other than surgery?
- What are each treatment's benefits and risks?
- Do you recommend one option for me over another?
Questions to ask about surgery:
If your health care provider recommends surgery, these questions may help you talk with your provider:
- What are my surgery choices?
- What surgery do you recommend for me and why?
- How likely is a cure or improvement for me
- What are the risks?
- How long will this treatment last?
- For slings: what type of sling material is the best choice for me and why?
- Is this surgery covered by my insurance?
- How many of these surgeries have you done, and how many do you perform yearly?
- What happens if I don't do this surgery now?
- Is any testing needed before surgery?
- Can you explain the test results to me?
- What kind of anesthesia will I need for this surgery?
- Should I get a second opinion? Why or why not?
- How will I feel right after my surgery? In the first week? From then on?
- What is the recovery time?
- Will I be limited in any way and for how long? Can I drive?
- When can I go back to work?
- What can I do to improve my quality of life now?