By: Urology Care Foundation | Posted on: 06 Sep 2016
Makes 1 loaf = 16 servings
Approximate nutrients per serving: 135 calories, 4 grams of fat, 3 grams of protein
1/2 lemon, juice of
3 (6 ounce) pears, ripe but firm
1/4 cup light olive oil
1 large egg
1 cup low-fat buttermilk or, stir ¼ cup milk into ¾ cup plain yogurt to create a nicely thick buttermilk substitute
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup cake flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup splenda granular for baking
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1. Partially fill a bowl with water and add lemon juice. Peel the pears and cut them into quarters. Chop 2 pears into a small dice & place the pieces in the lemon water. Slice each quarter of the 3rd pear in 4 long pieces. Place them in the water.
2. Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9"-X-13" baking dish with cooking spray & dust lightly with flour.
3. Combine the oil, egg, buttermilk and molasses in medium bowl.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the flours, splenda, baking powder & soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger & cloves. Add the wet ingredients & mix gently.
5. Drain the pears and set long slices aside. Stir the chopped pear pieces & the chopped ginger into the batter.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Arrange long pear slices on top & sprinkle with brown sugar.
7. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.